View Single Post
Old 06-19-15, 10:12 AM   #47
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
This was a racially motivated crime, so it could easily be called domestic terrorism. No problem with that, but seeing the PC crowd get all wound up over the labels when they have nothing to say about the crime and killings elsewhere is sad.

And I'm sick of hearing pundits squeal about the racial divide etc in this country. That's BS, plain and simple. As a truck driver I work with a lot of people of color, every day I interact with black people. Probably half of the truck drivers I know are black. There's no issue with working people of all colors, as far as I can see.
What you say is true Neal - for you and those blacks you come into contact with.

But, the reality is also true that there is a percentage of people - and it is not unique to only one race group - who do not want to "rub shoulders" with any group other than their own kind. And groups can be based on any number of types such as race, religion, gender, ability, profession, nationality, etc.

All systems - political, economic and social - are dynamic within all countries in the world. Some stagnate, some regress, and some advance at any given time. But whatever they do there will always be a certain sector within any community afraid of the change and feel that they are been marginalised and threatened. That the life they have grown up in, become accustomed to, and have felt safe in is shifting and changing under their feet.

This makes perfect breeding grounds for hatred and prejudice to grow within those communities who cannot cope and cannot adapt to change. Some individuals and collectives within those groups can become ticking time bombs.

We have had it in SA, Europe, America, Middle East - in fact all over the world. I do not have the answer.
What I do know, is one does not need aspirant politicians trying to garner support on these perceived fears. We have a lot of that here in South Africa.

And it troubles me for example, that in America, one has a lose canon like Trump spouting he will make America great again. What does he mean by that? In what way? America is a great country and will be so for the foreseeable future. It has its problems - but none are unique to it.

The problem lies in that they are happening too often. And that is the question Obama posed.

"Knowledge is like a lion:it cannot be gently embraced"
- South African proverb
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote