View Single Post
Old 12-17-13, 05:13 PM   #4548
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

U-65 - IXB - Kaleu Hansen - Apr 012325 1945 - South AL26 - Patrol 31

Oh, boy - this is going to be a long way home. After having dispatched of the carrier task force we set course for the reported convoy. Unfortunately I had not noted that the RWR had been damaged in that skirmish so suddenly a Butler frigate showed up on the horizon. Visibility unlimited and totally flat sea! Before we had turned halway around we had been hit twice in the hull. This added to the main batteries and schnorkel already destroyed, as well as the deck gun. What batteries were left were quite low on power, we got approx. 3 knots submerged.

We had plenty of torps but all homers had been used earlier. Luckily the scopes were in order. However, that did not help much as a leak in the aft torpedo room left us hanging nose up around 30-40 meters while the repair crew was working hard at getting the water out. In the meantime the enemy vessel, a Butler, approached casually. The only thing that seemed to work properly today was the Bold decoy system. After some minutes the Butler started an approach run, at that time we had almost reached the surface, another Bold confused him. He stopped. In the meantime I had ordered full reverse. Slowly we backed away while turning our aft towards port. Miracously, he was lying still all the while we edged out to the 400 meters mark. I gave him a spread of two TIII's from the bow tubes. I was a little in doubt about using the TI or TIII on him. However, lately the enemy has been much better to sidestep our torps. That is, when he sees one is coming. Their new subchasers are much more maneuverable than the earlier main opposition, the destroyer. So, it was a choice between stealth and speed. I obviously made the right choice.

All well? Not at all. As soon as the Butler was down an Everts was hovering on the 1.000 meter line. We couldn't take much more now so I put the broadside towards him as he edged slowly forward. Due to our lack of submerged speed I could not let him as close as I usually do. Quite unexpectedly he approached us along a straight line, no zig-zagging. I gave him one TI deflection shot from the bow and one from the aft - on 600 and 500 meters. Luckily, both went off under him.

After that we kept down till it was dark. We are soon in the Iceland-Færoyes gap and has been attacked twice by aircraft in the dark, first by a Coastal Command Halifax and after that a Sunderland flying boat. First time we dived - received some damage. The second time we stayed up and shot down the Sunderland. Going against 8 fast-firing 20 mm automatic cannons is no joke. I do have a specially selected AA crew.

We should never have gone against that convoy in this weather.

Fred

Below:

1. Sunderland going down
2. Status report

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SunderlandGoingDown.JPG (30.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg StatusReport.JPG (25.0 KB, 9 views)