View Single Post
Old 10-26-21, 02:13 AM   #5993
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default U53 - Type VIIb - 3rd patrol - part 5

November 14, 1939 AM53
0334 Wake up call from sonar operator: sound contact, seems like a merchant but it's still too faint to be sure. Surfacing and closing distance.

0344 Ship spotted! Seems a small cargo vessel. Bee-lining to us. U53 will stay on the surface but will run a bit lower and slower for a while.

0348 A fire started on the target! Perhaps it sustained an attack on its way here and was damaged. Identified as a british Passenger/Cargo, speed 8 knots. I guess we can finish her off with our deck gun. Man the guns and ahead flank!

0354 Down she goes! That was quick, the previous attack had her damaged quite a lot, I guess. Reported to BdU, back to previous course.

1142 grid AM53 Wind picked up to 15 meters per second, sea conditions make for difficult sailing. U53 will cruise submerged for 2 hours and surface just to recharge batteries, rinse and repeat till the wind slow down a bit.

1812 Faint sound contact detected east of our position. Surfacing and closing the gap.

1843 Contact is somewhat closer but now SSE of U53. Either it changed course or I made a mistake in guessing her course...obviously it changed course...mmm...

1907 Ship spotted! Again a small cargo. Down to periscope depth. We will determine speed and identify her properly.

1912 British small merchant crusing at 8 knots. Weather conditions won't allow deck gun usage so we will shot one torpedo.

1917 Torpedo impact! This time I got her in the bow. Huge fire burning. Running parallel.

1921 Huge secondary explosion! Target slowed down, nose almost always under the surface. Looks like it will go down soon.

1923 She is sinking! Seems like hitting them on the bow is the most effective tactic. Must offer a beer to Kapitän next time we meet at Nightclub. Back on course and leaving the area.
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote