View Single Post
Old 07-30-20, 01:09 AM   #814
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 535
Uploads: 1
Default Ahoy Kaleuns

Name: Ross

I grew up in the SF Bay Area. I have lived in about 6 different states but now call Minnesota home. I am a Marine Corps veteran, retired electronic engineer, amature astronomer, a writer and I play the bagpipes! Yes, I am a proud Scot and can trace lineage to about 4 Clans. I found Subsim with cryptic search: ‘sub simulators and forums’.

I served in the Marines as an avionics technician repairing communications, navigational aids, and radar for the A-6E, F-4J and A-4M aircraft. I used my GI Bill to get my degree and worked as a design engineer for about 38 years. I took retirement a few years back and I’m finally doing all the things I didn’t have time for when I was working.

I’ve always had a love of naval combat sims. I think my first was ‘Silent Service’ and ‘Task Force 1942’, Harpoon and I still play ‘Jane’s 688I’ and ‘Fast Attack’. Some of my other favorites are ‘Total War 2: Medieval’, the Close Combat series and the Wargame series.

I have done a considerable amount of sailing. In the early ‘80s, I started the course work to get my sailing master license. I took the Coast Guard Auxiliary inland waterway navigation, dead reckoning and navigation courses. Though I finished the required classroom and field work, I never took the final exam. I loved the courses and learning to read charts using the tools and especially the sextant. My dad and I sailed from SF bay to LA on a 35ft Yawl and I navigated. We made it without falling off the edge of the world! I have salt in my blood and I think I come by it honestly. My father retired a Senior Chief Machinist Mate and always considered himself Destroyer Sailor. He had some interesting tails of playing cat and mouse with Soviet subs in the 50s and 60’s!

Right now I’m in deep with SH5. I really like the immersion factor and all the other intricate details. One of the hot topics in the forums is realism. I’ve started a routine that really brings the sims to life: I write bios on all my captains. I’ve been a writer for years and right now, mostly short stories. I found that my personal, after action reports and patrol logs were getting rather large so I decided to start saving them as RTF docs. Writing a bio just kind of happened. I composed bios for all my captains now. Maybe I can start collections of stories for some interesting reading!

I’m glad I found this community for the fellowship and wealth of knowledge and experience offered!