View Single Post
Old 08-08-10, 03:49 AM   #76
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

I don't care what and why is included on various databases because I am interested only in realistic simulation. So I think if some weapons modeling is wrong I simply touched that out above and suggested how to correct this. That is not my own fat but facts backed by official and now quite easily accessible Soviet weapons data that surfaced after end of Cold War.
Therefore I do not understand keeping backward compatibility between databases if they include not realistic data or apply some equally bad "paper rules". All issue is simple - constant technological progress enabled even new versions of the same weapon system got much improved capabilities. For example:

- first version of SA-N-6 system from 1980s with 5V55R missiles could not engage sea-skimmers because its min engagement altitude was only 25 meters.

- later SA-N-6 version from early 1990s with 48N6 missiles acquired this capability because this missile can engage targets flying at 10 m altitude.

There are several such examples like SA-N-4A and SA-N-4C, SA-N-7 and SA-N-12. So what would be as I think simple to implement is to enable "anti-seaskimming penalty flag" only for those older missile variants. As a result say Kirov-class nuclear cruiser from 1980s would be much easier to destroy using Harpoons than the same warship from 1990s. The same applies to Slava-class cruisers, Sovremenny-class destroyers and so on. That way we would have in Harpoon 3 a great picture of progress in naval warfare during last decades instead of keeping forever some strange "paper rules"...
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote