View Single Post
Old 12-06-22, 04:41 PM   #1
Zanshin
Nub

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default How to best prepare for MNW?

Hi all,

I've very casually dabbled with 688i, Sub Command, Dangerous Waters, Cold Waters, and CMO on and off over the years, and have recently gotten the submarine bug again. This time, I've combined some dabbling with some reading: Blind Man's Bluff, Dark Waters, Surface at the Pole, The Ice Diaries, Cold Choices, Attack of the Seawolf, The Hunt for Red October, etc.

I'm a pilot and a huge fan of civilian aviation sims. I like realism, and depth, and studying huge manuals. I've shied away from getting serious about submarine sims because I know it's a slippery slope and I just haven't had the time. But dammit, now MNW is calling ...

With playing MNW as a goal once it's released, what do you think is the best way to prepare? I'm looking for a "syllabus" of sorts ... what to read, what to play, etc.

I have a big pile of recommended documents from SubGuru.com. I know about the Fleet Oceanographic and Acoustic Reference Manual and Fleet Tactics and Naval Operations. I haven't read any of it yet.

I have Dangerous Waters, Sub Command, 688i, Cold Waters, and CMO.

I've saved lots of Dangerous Waters videos (including FPSchazly's tutorials) to my "Watch Later" list on YouTube.

If my goal to be ready to dive into MNW when it's eventually released, what would you recommend between now and then? What's essential? What if time was no object (it is, of course, but just for thoroughness ... what if it wasn't)?

I've seen the second page of Notfallmappe_v06.pdf ("How to learn Dangerous Waters Efficiently") ... I'm looking for an updated, more thorough version of that which (maybe) includes DW mods and other games and mods (Cold Waters, CMO's submarine DLC, etc.) too, if it makes sense.

I'm asking not just for myself, but for all the non-sub simmers out there who have seen the MNW videos and are excited, but don't know where to begin. Instead of bemoaning the wait, what could/should we do to best pass the time?

I have my own inclinations, but I'm curious what the experienced folks here think.

Thanks!

Last edited by Zanshin; 12-06-22 at 05:23 PM.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote