View Single Post
Old 03-26-17, 05:31 AM   #7501
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Thank you very much for your detailed response Blitz. That made things quite clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
The user is asked to "activate" the patcher by providing the path to the game root folder as you call it.
And put that data into GenericPatcher.cfg.
Note: Can this not be automated by the way?
Probably it can. I always wished that correctly configured GenericPatcher.cfg file can be created automatically after the app is started. It's just that something like that would require some serious code editing, which is beyond me I'm afraid...

Quote:
The bug is that the patcher uses that path, but the code of "TDW New UIs" ignores that same information and takes that path from an entire different place.
=> That is inconsistant.
Of course...TDW Generic Patcher was always a "standalone" application and it has nothing to do with rest of the mods. It can be used form anywhere (even form desktop ect) as long as correct path(s) are precised in its cfg file...

Quote:
The background is that I am used to making backups and to use multiple installations in particular. Momentarily I have 17 (!) installations with varying mod-combinations on my SH3-partition. Likewise, I installed SH5 and made a number backup-copies to try things out without interference (MultiSH5) - here is the crucial point: For such backup-copy one obviously CHANGES THE DIRECTORY PATH NAME.

The bug is that the patcher uses the path that the user enters in GenericPatcher.cfg, but the code of "TDW New UIs" ignores that same information and takes that path from an entire different place: The registry. And the registry shows the ORIGINAL location of the FIRST INSTALL. So consequently the 8 files were NOT written into my test-install and the missing 8 files cause the problem that my screenshot shows: The black chart boxes.
I understand now... Quite expected behavior with most applications I would say. I'm not sure that heavily modded SH5 can easily be converted to "portable" application...

Quote:
Yes. TDW New UIs should use that same path provided in the GenericPatcher.cfg (which it clearly does NOT!), so the 8 files are not written elsewhere than needed.
That would make thing easier for some, but note again that the Patcher is originally developed as a completely standalone app ...

Quote:
My question to you: Can you fix which path TDW New UIs uses?
OK, this one is easy...No...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote