View Single Post
Old 01-18-22, 06:51 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Many, most of those narrow roads you mean are a local speciality here, in Münster's slang they are called "Pettken". These are mostly agricultural and operating routes origioanlly for the farmers, sometimes even in private possession by the farms but allowed to be used by the public. Its what the Münster region is famous for, they are smooth (mostly), and almost free of car traffic, or tourism. Do not think of them as public roads for mass traffic - these we have between Münster and Osnabrück, too, but I mostly avoid them. "Pettkenfahren" means to drive a bicycle tour on these kind of small roads. The word comes from Low German and Dutch language. This infrastructure gets specially cared for in the Münster region, is kept in very good shape, and that is one of the reasons why Münster is a very, very famous bicycle region in Germany. For bicycles, it is ideal grounds.

Münster also has its own regional dialect, or better, it had, because it is almost not spoken anymore: Masematte. It is a slang originally of the lowest working class, and consisted of only a few hundred words and had roots both in Jiddish and in medieval dialects typical for the so-called Fahrendes Volk (=didicoy?). Some of its terms found entrance into common modern German: a Schickermann is a drunk, schickern means to drink for getting drunk, Leeze instead of Rad is still a bicycle, plömpsen means to go swimming, and eine Knierfte vertusemantuckeln is the same like in modern German ein Butterbrot essen: eating a buttered bread.

But to 99% that is just folcloristic jargon to please the expectations of tourists. In the wild, I never have heard anyone ever using for example "Leeze" for Fahrrad, although TV series mercilessly keep this clichée alive that Münster people only say "Leeze". It simply is not true. And I know this place since my childhood.

The Teutoburger Wald region northeast of Münster's Pettken, becomes more idyllic, but also much more hilly. I know some tours there that really are hefty to ride, I never see ordinary bicycle tourists there (well, only very rarely, and then they are pushing their bikes and walk ) , only race drivers training who want to sweat and bleed, and mountainbikers for similar purposes, motorbikers, very rarely an e-biker like myself. It can be exhausting, but the sights and landscapes are worth it. We have one famous serpentine track here were in May huge "gangs" of motorbikes use to haunt the road which is winding up and down and very steeply on that track. Frequent police controls there, too. For bicycle its not complety free or risks, its steep, hairpin follows after hairpin, and the car traffic has drivers who stare at the wonderful forest, I once almost flew off the road in an hairpin there, too, got carried out of the corner since I was too fast and brakes almost did not cut it. I brought a long column of cars from both directions to a standstill. To my displeasure the drivers were grinning. Its easy to forget the road because one only has eyes for the sights and the landsacape. And it looks so harmless!

My favourite part of that video is from around 1:00:00 on. I know that track from university times, and love it since then. Its partially a part of the so-called Cherry Road, a bicycle tour track, at Hagen which is home to a genetic arch for cherry seeds, and almost every garden at every house seem to have one or more cherry trees, unfortunately not the pink Japanese kind of blossom, but sober, small, white ones only. I have made a video of that track two years ago, its stabilised and smooth, but it runs at 5x speed. Back then I used to shoot videos a bit different in style.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-18-22 at 07:03 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote