View Single Post
Old 07-08-12, 02:04 AM   #5
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The only thing companies have ever been interested in is making money. That is why they exist, after all.
Yup, ...else they could not survive at least not within the western business model...but yes, especially big companies strive often for short-term goals due to the stock market.

So, in the 80/90's there was a market for simulation, simply the people were interested in such stuff and the graphics capability were not that strong so game mechanics was to some extend more important than today.

RedOctober is completely right...colleagues and buddies of mine buying iPads and that stuff like the hell, telling me that the PC is dead and buying nonsense games from the AppStore which they delete after a couple of days and buy the next. When you are saying that you are interested in naval simulations, with manuals big like a telephone book (Dangerous Waters), you get a weird look at the best.

The flight sim guys have at least DCS, which is very fortunate for them.

And apart from the Silent Hunter ('offline') series, also the modern naval simulation era looks in a very bad state...I've not seen any message from the Sonalysts guys for over a year now.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote