Thread: Italian built
View Single Post
Old 03-15-06, 10:42 AM   #27
Bruno Lotse
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 244
Uploads: 0

Re: Well Skoda works did pretty good artillery...
You're right. I've read recently that Skoda was the main supplier of naval guns for Austro-Hungarian fleet. Battleships of class Viribus Unitis were equipped with original Skoda guns. So Checks were in no way novices in naval artillery. The reason why French did not want to install Check guns on Dubrovnik was simply French desire to maintain their DD fleet as the most powerful in the Mediterrenian. Check guns were 140 mm capable to throw 40kg shells to 24 km while the most powerful French DD gun was 138 mm. When British built Leader Dubrovnik and installed 4X140mm guns, Dubrovik became the most powerful destroyer (in terms of gunnery) in the world all the way till German experiments with 150mm guns (which proved to be a failure - they eventually reverted to 127mm). Yugoslavians also had three destroyers - Beograd, Ljubljana, Zagreb. These three were based on French Barasque with 4x120mm but again Skoda guns. Italians captured Dubrovik ('Premuda'), Beograd ('Sebenico'), Ljublana ('Ljublana'). Zagreb was destroyed by its own crew who did not want to surrender their ship. Germans took over Premuda and Sebenico - TA 32 and TA43. Ljublana sank in spring 1943.
I like your idea of repainting British cruisers. Looking at stock RN cruisers in the game one might think that RN was in Toulon throughout the WW2 - no camo,no nothing. Have a look at the HMS Arethusa in so called 'Malta' camo, i.e. colors specific for that theater of war.
My email Bruno_Lotse@yahoo.ca

Here's HMS Coventry in 1941. See... She was not in Toulon. She was at Alexandria and as such she was properly painted

And finally my love, heroes of Malta HMS Abdiel and Maxman

Here's another one HMS Maxman in May 1942 painted as if she is a French destroyer Chacal. Ooooh sneaky British. Yet, what can you say - blockade runner...