View Single Post
Old 10-07-13, 05:29 PM   #4453
Radian
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default 18th Patrol

Switched to Type IX for my 18th patrol. Left for a grid off the coast of Casablanca. After completing my 24 hr patrol, Radio message says Germany has declared war on America. Dec 8 or 9?

Any way... so it's off to America......

Long cruise. I get distracted by a large convoy above the Azores. Bag a large and intermediate tanker... Slink off and decide to continue on to America.....

Arrive off North Carolina. Head north. Not long before I find a large freighter and a small freighter. Both running with lights on... I casually sail up to them and sink them with deck gun! No threat and no place for them to run. Just target practice in rough seas.

Continue on. Hydophone picks up a target closer to shore so I go to get it.... A stinking trawler!
Well Better to use the flak gun on a 98 ton trawler then a plane attacking me. Just as it sinks I get a look out warning of ship spotted! Humm another target?

NO! High speed torpedo boat heading for me. "Crash Dive!" Just made it.

So now decide to head south and off Georgia I sink another large freighter and a great lakes coastal freighter with my deck guns. Deck gun now down to only 9 shells. I'm going to have to use some of the 17 torpedo's I have left.

So I want to use them on high tonnage easy to sink targets. Nothing better then fat loaded tankers....

I sail around Florida and head for Galveston. I sail almost to the harbor. It's night and I find nothing other then a stupid armed tug....

So here I am just off of Galveston with a bunch of torpedos and nothing to show for my cruise from Georgia around Florida.....

So I guess it's time to do a harbor incursion!

Sweet. A spend the entire night slinking around at periscope or 7m depth. Then I attack. I bag a large tanker, a Modern Tanker, a 7.9k Troop Transport and another armed tug blows itself up by dropping depth charges in 18 meters of water!

I'm cruising out on the surface as the sun is coming up.

So now I'm thinking I might sail back and check out Miami Harbor. Still have 10 torps left... More then 1/2 a tank of fuel... It's dark and I'm wearing my sunglasses.

Radian
Radian is offline   Reply With Quote