Old 10-07-13, 12:45 AM   #4451
aj906
Helmsman

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

U-67, Typ IXC
18 June 1944
Assigned to patrol AM97: St George's Channel

Left Bergen 30 May 1944 and skirt the Irish coast, sinking seven ships for a total of 29,360 BRT. Was able to sink two with the deck gun - both large trawlers - while I bagged a large tanker just entering the St George's Channel.

Constant diving for aircraft - thankful for the snorkel, but even motionless at night this isn't much of a help having been DC'd by aircraft with Leigh Lights.

I was on the surface at night reloading the stern tube when I was caught by an aircraft (although I didn't get a radar warning). I had approximately five minutes left of reloading so the gunners had a nice blatt at the Sunderland which did a little bit of damage. Just as I get underway and am about to order us to periscope depth my lookout screams enemy spotted. Turns out to be at least six sets of smoke closing at high speed. I swing the boat around and fire my last remaining acoustic torpedo in the general direction and then crash dive.

I jettison a decoy and get a depth check only to find we have 84 metres below the keel. I then spent three hours and, by my own count, 103 explosions from either DC or hedgehog before finally slipping the noose.

Damage:
attack and observation periscope damage
radio destroyed
radar destroyed
hydrophone damaged
stern torpedo - 1 damaged, the other destroyed
both engines damaged
deck and flak guns destroyed
seven members of the crew wounded

Have 14 torpedoes remaining so am going to sit out another 48 hours in this grid and then head back to Bergen...