View Single Post
Old 02-26-10, 01:31 PM   #15
ReM
Commodore

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Again I agree totally, but I meant interference at the operational level as well. Giving the halt order at Dunkirk, hesitating about the axis of advance in Barbarossa even after its late start, splitting up both army groups in Fall Blau and having substandard troops and allies guard the stretched flanks, not giving von Manstein carte blanche with his 'schlagen aus der nachhand' tactics saving the day for the Germans in 1943 near Kharkov, making the army attack Russia's best near Kursk in an insane attempt to defeat them there, giving stand fast orders during Bagration sacrificing huge numbers of valuable materiel and men, insisting on keeping the panzer reserves in the west under his own command, ordering the counterattack at Mortain that ended in the onslaught at Falaise and made a swift German defeat in France certain, the very unrealistic offensive in the Ardennes in order to reach Antwerp and split the Allied armies in two. I have read stories about the fact that the Fuhrer even kept himself occupied with transfers of single battalions! Can you imagine President Bush telling Norman Schwarzkopf that he wants a certain battalion transferred because his intuition told him that?
I think OKW minus the Fuhrers constant interfering would've fought a different war, not a war with a different outcome.........