View Single Post
Old 08-07-13, 07:12 AM   #1
Telemon
Helmsman

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0
Default Returning to duty but having problems.

Greetings,
I am just returning to SH3/GWX3 after a long absence. Started a new career and am on first patrol. Two curious occurrences which I don’t understand.
Scenario 1.
I’m in the Western Approaches and have intercepted a large convoy in the midst of which is a Southampton class cruiser. I’ve estimated convoy speed as about 6kts. The cruiser’s range is round about 2000mtrs. I need an accurate range so, having identified it in the recce. manual and ticked the box and locked the target. I’ve gone to the attack ‘scope’ clicked range got the graticule and placed it on the target. Now here’s the thing. No matter how many times I try it won’t give me a range even when it is obviously down to less than a 1000mtrs. I know it won’t range if the target is too far away but can’t understand this. In the end I had to guess and fire a spread of four and got two hits but it was a waste. Any ideas?
Scenario 2.
Same patrol next night. I’ve picked up a sound contact which turn out to be an ore carrier and a medium cargo ship. I’m ahead and to stbd of them and the range is closing. I’ve shut down the engines to hold my position which looks to be ideal. At about 3000mtrs they alter course away I call for 2/3 ahead and get no response. A quick check in the engine room shows the Eng Off Eng POs and everyone else has full health. I’ve got the control room fully manned and healthy. Back to the bridge call in sequence for ½ , full and flank speed. Still nothing. I’m stationary and can’t move. What to do, targets moving away from me now. I decide to submerge and see if electrics work. Yes motors running smoothly so I come back to the surface and diesels work perfectly too.
Is this some new paralyzing ray the perfidious British have developed?
In both cases the weather was wind 15mtrs/sec, vis Moderate, no precipitation.
Telemon is offline   Reply With Quote