View Single Post
Old 09-21-12, 03:52 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default How to make a USB stick bootable with Windows, and software

I already outlined the principle question in a separate thread about the recent Java warning.

Situation:
there is a system, Windows7x64 installed. There is no Java aboard. Java should not touch the system. There is an empty, fast USB stick, 32 GB. And a little game for children that depends on Java. The father of two does not want to compromise his rig by installing Java, I recommended him so. He now asks me. And I am not full of advise over that "children problem".

Question - how to:
- make the USB stick bootable;
- have it booting the Windows copy that the HD already is installed with (no second Windows available, I refer to the need of registering Windows);
- installing Java and that game on it.
- safely preventing internet connection, so that no bad stuff can sneak onto the HD via the USB boot running.

Intention:
- enable the kids to boot a Java-Windows from USB stick and play that game ( board game it is), without the HD being infested with Java, and the main Windows boot installation on it not put at risk.

Method, conditions:

- nothing complicated, if possible no additional software tools needed. He lives in another city, I need to explain it to him via telephone, and he knows even less about PCs than I do.

Your solution? Step-by-step please. I found some according stuff at Google, but it all left questions open to me. Talk is of ISO files, I do not know what that is, then some Daemon tools, I also do not know what that is, and some more.

Suggest your detailed battle plan. - Execute now!

Addendum: somebody mentioned a dual-boot system, from HD with multi-partitions. I run multi-partition, but never installed a dual boot, so do not count on me knowing how to do that.