View Single Post
Old 02-01-22, 11:33 AM   #459
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
I honestly forgot to change the depth charges and I am in December 1943.

With the type 95: before the night attack described above, I had a "nice" encounter with a Chidori class destroyer.

I show him my lovely derriére and shoot 4 torpedoes, and crash dive.

Went to the outside camera and saw that one was going to hit. "yeahhh, I am the greatest us sub commander of all time" and then the message: "Torpedo is a dud"! Why the admiral wants impact pistols...

So, to cut the story short, I had to go bellow 660 ft, sinking in silent running to escape. When doing the cat and mouse game, one charge did got to close and damage my engine compartment. Medium damage but manageable.

Possibly with the previous settings of the depth charges, that hit would had been fatal.
Nice. Damn. Still getting duds in December 1943? Or was that prior ? Dud problem is supposed to be solved on 25 September 1943. However, if are out at sea when the "switch" takes place, may noticed problem persists until next patrol.

660? holy crap lol I assume you were in a Balao Class and that is pushing it lol Yes, if had the Type 2 depth charge enabled, pretty good chance would have been fatal but not necessarily, depends on how close it was, if it compromised hull integrity. I am working on implementing it where ships begin to carry the new depth charges on their own (so do not have to enable the mods) and switch at appropriate dates (like the RSRD mod did) but time consuming process and ran into issues.) Being that deep even losing just a few percent of hull integrity to a close depth charge can cause hull collapse. Type2, with more explosive power does not have to be as close as Type 95 to cause such damage. Type 95 can still kill a sub, just not as likely.

Also, something I have come to realize in SH 4 does model, is charges are more effective at extreme depths (as were in reality) vs shallow depth. I've taken a depth charge at 125 feet and at 650 feet in Balao, landed exact same distance and spot. At 125 feet, does not do the damage same charge, same distance, some spot does at 650 ft. I tested this pretty exstenively and and 98% sure this is accurate.

In TMO update, charges are worth the same hitpoints, no wild variations (in default TMO, stock etc, hitpoint values of charges can range from 80-175, random factor, which is why the notorious an ahistorical "magic bullets" happened, that ended things when were not close enough to do so. Most subs hulls have 325-350 hitpoints, so get one at 175 with any kind of depth, probably going to cause hull collapse. Then the damage "spreads" throughout and would destroy key equipment, bullkheads etc. Default damage model annoyed me immensely lol, very gamey, which is why I changed it.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote