View Single Post
Old 05-14-12, 11:09 AM   #283
kapitan_zur_see
Commodore

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 0

Seriously, browser and flash based, is this an elaborate practical joke???

How can one pretends to develop a serious modern game and subsim at that using this?? I'm suprised nobody here raised another eye brow...

My SH5 data folder indicates roughly 9 Gb of data in it... Yeah, sure, there's mods in ... can't recall what it was right out of the box, but sure like most modern games something akin to 4Gb +. That's what it takes to make a modern game these days, not much less than that...

Browser based and falsh means NO already downloaded client!! I'm in France and I don't live in Paris. I don't know for you guys here in the US or elsewhere how much can you squeeze out of your internet, but as for me, I'm can't get more than, at extremely best, 400-420 Kb/s. How will you manage downloading so much data as to make a PROPER 2012 3D game working and avoid getting hell lots of loading time without owning a current state of the art internet access??

This cannot means anything but HUGE step backward in terms of graphics, textures resolution, sounds (less problematic), overhaul complexity and immersion factors like interiors, sea states, harbours details and the like. In other words: Silent Hunter The Lite Edition.

Sorry guys, I'm not "buying" this...! Things should always expands and improve as time moves on! not the other way around... This is not SH then to me, period.

BTW graphics looks already like old fashioned SH3 even as it seems without interior and animated crew members. Seriously, if it's back to only close-up still screens of various stations, it won't work for me... in 2012, I think the "ghost ship" syndrome should utterly be a thing from the past!! Totally breaks it for me if it's the case (and it would seems so given the browser based nature).

To guys who are also concerned about immersion factors as much as realism, this doesn't seems to start well...

Yeah, I know... Flash data for the game in cache... alright, what's with cleaning cache processes and stuff? I'm really afraid it can't lead to anything but huge let downs in order to manage downloading times...

And come on... that flash bogeyman SCREAMS memory leaks and CPU hogging performance issues, browser crashes and everything. Not to mentions lags. Seriously, sometimes, firefox even has issues managing multiple tabs with youtube-like or other flash-based stuff in there. Not to mention flash gradually being more and more abandoned by developers and browsers, as it seems to me. Looks like some people seems to think it's to be avoided like the plague, Ain't I right? (I'm no dev)

And you guys raised a righteous eyebrow with modding concern regarding any SH games (though it should less apply to an alleged F2P game), however modding is not just abour FIXING game issues... It's also about expanding the game in directions that wouldn't be possible for devs who are constraints to budget/time management limitations... and that also means a lot in modding, people are working on their free time which is not tied to a budget and dead lines, so they can do more stuff.

For me, a sim with no modding capabilities should be a no go. As for this game, I deem it to be something else then.

After the SH5 debacle, this news even suprised me as to being an even more WTF moment! Seriously... kudos to you guys at UBI who are able to come up with such ideas as a flash based simulation...

Last edited by kapitan_zur_see; 05-14-12 at 12:24 PM.
kapitan_zur_see is offline   Reply With Quote