View Single Post
Old 11-01-22, 10:00 PM   #5116
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
Thanks for explaining, that's what happened. I saw the May 31 date for a Balao but didn't know that did not include Midway! I'll remember that going forwarded.
We have a pdf "spreadsheet" in one of the Support folders that shows the subs and ports, but it needs some updating for the next release. We might move Midway out of the Balao until September, like Pearl is, and then maybe the game will start taking people to San Francisco, like it used to when you got an early "award"... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Yes, I'm still crashing, I've determined that it's an issue with the FotRSU and not my install of SH4. This is because when I run v1.5 of SH4 (the one with U-boat missions), I have no issues at all. Yet when I load the mod on, it crashes on me.
Just be sure you navigate into the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" or similar) with Windows Explorer after activating FotRSU, and delete the data. Doing that from the game does not eliminate all of the old data. The game will re-create the folder and data the next time it runs. You do lose all progress in any career you have though, and you will have to re-set your options for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel44 View Post
I just return from a patrol where I sank 10 ships in Japanese home waters early in the war and I received a medal - the citation read Navy Cross - but the picture was a bronze star... did my medals file get corrupted? Is there a file I should recopy from a clean install?
The Awards were re-worked for the mod a while back by CapnScurvy, to make the CMoH more difficult to obtain. The Awards in the game are not easy to deal with, so the way they are edited is to change the names we see in the game, but the base award is still the same. The pictures were also changed to protect the guilty (Ubisoft). If there are issues with your Save folder, what you describe is a possible side-effect. Another way to have similar happen is to Save the game prior to coming into port, docking, and then loading the earlier Save and coming back in to dock again in an attempt to get an upgrade. Usually, any medal earned will be downgraded when coming in to port a 2nd time. Your situation does not seem to quite fit that. Like the advice to Brooksie above, it is recommended that you delete your Save folder so that fresh data can be brought in. You will lose those ship sinkings and other career progress, as well as the game configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel44 View Post
On a related question - can the criteria for medals be edited in a specific file in the game? In history, if a captain returned with 5 or more sinkings, the Navy Cross was the award. Can you get more than one the same medal in the game? Does realism play into the award criteria? I play realism except for exterior view (because I like the eye-candy of watching my sub slip below the wave or surface)

Thanks for any thoughts you can share...

Yes, you can get more than one of the same medal in a career, but only one per patrol. We attempt "realism" in the medals awards, but... it is a Silent Hunter game... There are also medals and promotions available for you to give to your crew when in the Office. Click on the sub on the desk, then go to the crew page, and click on the appropriate tab in the left-hand column, and then click and drag to the crew member with the mouse pointer signifying who will get the medal or promotion. Release the mouse button over that person. If a promotion does not take, then there is probably a restriction in place. As to editing the Medals.upc file, it is in the Data /UPCData /UPCCrewData folder, and can be edited with a text editor. The medals' pictures are in the Data /Menu and Data /Menu /Gui folders.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote