Old 08-09-22, 09:45 PM   #618
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

31 March 1943
Heavy air losses for Japan over Java, our armies advance

Java
My heavy task force, minus its battleships and 2 heavy cruisers, proceeded to Batavia at night. A Japanese covering force came out to challenge them, and unfortunately for me, my task force's morale was apparently broken and they weren't interested in fighting much, so despite outgunning the enemy task force (1 CA, 4 CL, 7 DD vs 1 CA, 1 CL, 5 DD), we retreated. One enemy destroyer was sunk, several other ships on both sides took hits, but nothing serious.

We depth charged an enemy sub lurking off our airbase at Tjilatjap for moderate damage.

The first enemy air raid targeted an amphibious task force that was retreating from the eastern landing site, Djokjakarta. We finally outnumbered them, putting up 28 Wildcats (they had a CVE) and 4 P-40s against 19 Zeroes at 18 Betties. For the price of 1 Wildcat, we got 3 Zeroes and 13 Betties. No hits on the ships.

Next was our main covering force centered around 3 CVEs. Several waves attacked this task force, which had a peak CAP of 50 Wildcats. With only 2 Wildcats down, we took out 6 Zeroes, 11 Betties (and a 12th to flak), and 9 Kates (plus 2 more to flak).

I'd moved some P-38s to Java and used them to sweep Batavia. 10 Zeroes down, no losses.

Later in the day, the enemy air raid focus shifted to my surface group near Batavia, retreating to Tjilatjap. We managed much more air cover over this group because it had gotten closer to our bases. The enemy lost 9 Zeroes and 24 Betties going after them. We lost a single Wildcat, and the heavy cruiser Portland took a torpedo hit.

Our Batavia-bound ground forces took Kalidjati, routing an infantry regiment and 2 marine units.

Timor
We lost 4 Navy Liberators over Koepang to a surprise CAP by Nicks.

China
We captured Kuikiang (central area, near Wuchang). Not a big deal, was lightly defended.

Palau Islands
USS Grunion torpedoed a troop carrying cargo ship near Babeldaob. Would definitely have sunk if not hit near the port. Probably still did sink, but had a chance.

Burma
Thinking so many planes had been moved down to Java that Rangoon probably wasn't well defended, I sent a major B-24 raid there (33 planes). Lost 19 of them, gunners shot down one defending Nick.