View Single Post
Old 08-09-22, 08:33 AM   #114
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Note on this one: regardless of real word meanings, in SH5 either Strafe or SetCourseBombs are part of Lead strategy telling plane how to fly, and neither causes or denies plane from using its weapons. There is completely separate strategy for this which basically boils down to "If you have weapon X and can fire it - fire it!". So no matter which maneuver the plane is doing at the moment, if it somehow finds itself seeing target in its crosshairs, it should fire.

The problem with SetCourseBombs is, as I see it, that despite its name it does not put the plane in position that is considers correct to drop bombs (unless target is motionless, which leads me to believe problem is connected to not leading the target). So the maneuver part of the script is executed over and over while shooting part waits for target to enter the crosshairs. Strafe behaviour works because it (by pure accident) repeatedly puts the plane in position where it thinks it has a chance to hit.
Okay, I see your point.

Plane:SetCourseBombs tells aircraft to follow a trajectory which in theory should be optimal either for level or dive bombing (depending on sim file setting), but apparently it is bugged and it won't work on moving targets.
Plane:Strafe, on turn, should be more appropriate for cannon strafe runs, but due to the above limitations it happens to increase bombing accuracy over the previous command.

My point is: seeing that Plane:Strafe is the most effective command against moving targets, no matter the weapon used, game AI should trigger the relative strategy if the attacking plane has either gun bullets OR bombs left. With your current script, aircraft won't strafe if they have no cannon / cannon bullets, no matter if they can still drop bombs. That would be correct if strafing was used in game as in real life, and it still is if you want to set up distinct gun strafing and bombing strategies against stationary targets, but it is not according to the new usage you are doing of the said command against fast-moving targets.

I hope I made myself clearer this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Maybe this?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote