View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 02:28 PM   #66
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
All that stuff gets sorted automagically.
I like your automagic lol

Quote:
The nice thing about how Granny stores the files is that We can INSERT stuff that does NOT load! Extract a 3D model from a GR2 file and look at it!
You'll see repeats of verts or textures that NEVER actually get called by any Face!

So I balance the counts to match the largest of the input.
Quote:
In your case? V and VT will equal VN.
Well, in the case we are discussing, vn's are not an actual problem.
As I said, as far as hard edges are removed or split before GR2 import, vn's count will match v's count

Quote:
The faces will be sorted which moves the VT placement of textures in the obj file.
Thus one set of Faces that point to properly sorted information!
Doing this shouldn't require the addition of any extra information either. The good thing about my otherwise buggy AO model is that its vertices are in the same order as in the AO model, so we can easily track down which vt corresponds to which v in both files and, from there, which vt in one file corresponds to which vt in the other file. What is actually needed is sorting vt coordinates in the AO object so that they are in the same order as used by face definitions in the main model. All the other lines in the AO object can be identical to the ones of the main model.

I actually thought of a way for doing that in Excel, but it will work only for this specific set of files. Doing that spreadsheet generic would involve more work than it is probably worth. Nonetheless, while you work on a proper object sorter, I might give my stop-gap Excel tool a try... I am just curious to see my model in Blender with the two UV maps and connected textures applied, but I can't import the secondary UV map until the mismatch is fixed... (and I can't create a decent LOD model).

Quote:
I did try to point all this out to TDW several times. But I'm not sure he caught the idea so went with his way of doing the Loose Import.
That, as We all know, causes HUGE increases in file size. Not only that but EACH line needs to be loaded to display properly in Game.
Well, we should admit that these concepts are not so easy to understand even if someone explains them to you one hundred times. Moreover one I can grasp the basics of someone else's discoveries, but putting them in practice would be another matter. TDW is brilliant at math, programming and debugging. He demonstrated his talents in many ways, but probably 3D geometry wasn't his piece of cake. In all honesty I can't blame him for that. I myself have a hard time trying to figure out the public domain and well known waveform format, le alone the granny one lol

P.S: a big limit to performing only strict import with TDW's tool, will be vertex count. I am not even sure I can fit my puffer in the template given by the stock fishing boat...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote