View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 07:46 PM   #8
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yes the campaign of 688 is way superior to SC without any contest in term of immersion. And regarding gameplay, the score system is really rewarding with the possibility to use it to get upgrades, this is then allowing different take on the same missions, like if you in fact used new subs or prototypes.

That helps to workaround the fact there is only 1 submarine, as with some of the upgrades, you can by example pretend to be inside a seawolf.

Another interesting superior thing in 688 over SC is as i said in a previous post the sounds of -every- engines (even the subs) that can be heard in the broadband (faintly for the subs though), allowing you to actually use your ears as much as the graphics. like a sonar guy would do in a real sub.

Unfortunately in SC, Sonalyst lowered (a very lot) some of those engine sounds in one of the last patches, so much that you can't hear anymore any sub engine with the parasites sound covering them.
This sound management in 688 really contribute to the sub feeling.

I believe always nowadays, the game in itself is good, but it is true that visually it is old with its low res. An high res version would do wonders.

But it is always a risk to replay old favorites, sometime as you said your memory is so great that actually going to replay can result in a disapointement.

688 patched up to the latest version works very good on my XP (with the 688 executable set to window98 compatibility and disable visual theme checked)
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote