View Single Post
Old 04-20-23, 04:20 PM   #5380
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake307 View Post
Anyone take a stab as to why I CTD on mission start? I have only downloaded the v1.8 mod and its patch. JGMSE is in the SH4 folder. I can get into the game, but on mission start, I have a black screen, then CTD. Using the Steam Version. I think it may have something to do with SH4 being installed in the steamapps folder, but I can't get it to run anywhere else. I copy and paste SH4 to C: and I get some Application Error as soon as I double click the sh4 app. I have also deleted my save game folder.
Where do you have the game installed? You cannot be in a Windows "protected" folder, such as Program Files, even when under the Steam directory. The Library folder has to be outside of any folder that Windows interferes with. Also, which version of the Steam game are you trying to start? There is the "plain" Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific, and then there is "U-Boat Missions Add-On", which is the v1.5 of the game, and is necessary to get FotRSU to run... although, it does look like Steam has changed their SH4 pages - AGAIN!!! Kind of more difficult to tell what they're doing there... sigh

Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific
Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions

Time was, the "Wolves of the Pacific from Steam was version 1.3 of the game, but they are showing a German Type IX-D2 U-Boat in their "splash" ad on that page...

Look to see which version you are starting. When you start SH4, and get to the main menu, do you have a choice for "U-Boat Campaign"? Although, seems to me that you would get a "Black_80" error message instead, if you were starting the wrong one...

Two other things to check. Number one would be the Properties settings of the SH4.exe file. Navigate into your game folder in Windows FileManager, and find SH4.exe. Right-click on it, and from the Context Menu that comes up, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list. That opens the "Properties" dialog. On that first "General" tab, toward the bottom, make certain that the tick-box for "Read-only" is cleared. That will allow the file to be altered. Then click on the "Compatibility" tab and do some adjusting there.

You are almost guaranteed to need to tick that "Disable fullscreen optimizations". You most likely have to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, which is what makes that upper window in that picture. You'll want to set the "High DPI Scaling Override" section near the bottom like in the picture. Unless you have an odd laptop like mine, leave that top "Program DPI" section alone and the tick-box empty. Quite a few folks have to use that "Compatibility Mode" section, and some have to use the "Run this program as an administrator". You will need to experiment there, since no two computers are alike.

Number two, you do have to set either LAA or the 4Gig Patch properly on the SH4.exe file (hence the clearing of the "Read-only" part above). Both are in the FotRSU mod download, with LAA being in the game folder after activation, and the 4Gig Patch being in the "Extras" folder, if you want to use it instead. The 4Gig Patch does give you a better indication that it failed, though you do not get any beeps are flashing read text. LAA will seem that it took, but if you open it again, and bring the SH4.exe file in again, the tick-box for the "Large Address Aware Flag" will be empty still. Make certain you have one or the other of those enabled, and that should allow the app more of your RAM to run it. It doesn't matter if you have 64 Gig of RAM on your computer, Windows will still only give each "legacy" app about 640k of RAM. Using LAA or similar will get you up to about 1.5Gig of RAM, which is enough for SH4 with FotRSU enabled, to run in.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-20-23 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo city...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote