View Single Post
Old 03-01-09, 10:33 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Your Hamburg plan might be better, Neal.

I just checked with Google Earth.

Kobenhavn - Laboe, if taking the trip by car via Fehmarn ferry, would be around 260 km road-distance, 18-20 of it would be passing the Fehmarn belt by ferry, which consumes a lot of time for those 20 km: waiting for ferry, get on ferry, ferry travels, get off ferry. Leaves you with 240 km on land. Of these, practically all distance you have to do on German soil would NOT be the Autobahn, but smaller (and slower) Land- and Bundesstrassen. I do not know the Danish road indices, whether they are highways or not. But in germany it is not a 130+ km/h flight you would do. I would estimate the total time you spend for one trip 3-5 hours, if you do not have to wait for the ferry, do not lose orientation, always pick the right road. Multiply by two, for you want to drive back to Kobenhavn, too.

The road-distance airport Hamburg - Laboe is close to 100 km, almost all of it Autobahn. If all goes well and traffic plays ball, 1 hour.

Does not compare!

Edit:
And on the idea of a train travel, I checked German railway information. The train goes from Kiel down to Lübeck, from there to Fehmarn island, then the ferry, and Denmark. Time: 5:20 and more, 2-4 changes, there is no highspeedtrain available.

Train from Hamburg Central station to Kiel Central station: 1,5 hours railtime. The rail station in Hamburg is 8 km from the airport, direct line. The station in Kiel is at the southern dead end of the bay, Laboe is on the bay's northern opening to the sea. All in all from Hamburg airport to Laboe probably 2,5-3 hours, waiting times not included.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-01-09 at 12:40 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote