View Single Post
Old 09-01-13, 10:53 AM   #3
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

In the last days i was exploring subsim and game files, trying to understand which files controls mentioned values. I've learned a lot but there are still some things which i don't understand quite enough. Any assistance from experienced moders will be appreciated!

For me, this is one of the most important aspects of the simulation.I'm not satisfied with current sub's damage modeling which is basically dumbed down to one invisible "health bar"-hull integrity. Crews are able to clog holes with a duct tape, like they are octopuses, and it's really not a big deal when destroyer kick your ass all the way down to 20% of hull integrity...

What i'm trying to accomplish:
I wont to make instant death feature less obvious so that submarine could actually die from flooded compartments and sinking. Also, i think that when pressure hull is breached and flooding happens it should represent much bigger problem that it is now...Some equipment could not be damaged at all, like dive planes, propeller shafts, torpedo tubes,ruder ect.

What i manage to do so far:
Currently, i'm experimenting with values in files: Zones.cfg, UnitParts4VIIB.upc, NSS_Uboat7b.zon, NSS_Uboat7b.upcge and Equipment.upc. Please, note me if there are some more files of importance.

-Added collision zones for sub's rudder/propellers area...

...and damage zones for bow and stern planes.

Now, dive planes will take damage all the way to 0, still not sure will this have any effect on dive speed.
I had no luck with rudder zone, any rudder related zone in damage editor(goblin) will cause instant CTD when zone is hit. Also propeller shafts could be damaged with corresponding zone but there isn't any effect on sub performance?!

- Flotability
Increasing gradually Flotability values for corresponding damage zones in zones.cfg file so when submarine is flooded enough (let's say two or more compartmenst), it will eventually sink. In combination with increased hitpoints from sub's .zon file (some large number, 1000 and more) this will soften instant death feature and give us some time to fight for our life. If flooding is too heavy and sub drops below critical depth, it will be crushed almost instantly, depending how much hit points is left on our account...

- Compartments and flooding repair times
I've drastically increased flooding repair times in NSS_Uboat7b.upcge file so we should not expect any fast repairs for larger damage. Roughly, couple of minutes for minor leaks, middle damage couple of hours, and wall breached...Well, you're done...
Hitpoints for all compartments(zones.cfg) are for now tuned to 100, I think this means that 1-2 direct hits from enemy deck gun to one compartment will give us significant problem, few direct hits won't sink the sub but in the case of submerging it will be very problematic... I'm still investigating dependency of sub's armor value (sub's .zon file) and compartment hitpoints

flooding repair times
Code:
DamageDescription1= NULL,0,0.1,0,0,1,Minor Leak,0,0,NULL,0.1,0.2,0.5
DamageDescription2= NULL,0.1,0.2,0,0,1,Minor Leak,0,0,NULL,0.2,0.2,1
DamageDescription3= NULL,0.2,0.3,0,0,1,Large hole,0,0,NULL,0.3,0.2,1.5
DamageDescription4= NULL,0.3,0.4,0,0,1,Large hole,0,0,NULL,0.4,0.5,2
DamageDescription5= NULL,0.4,0.5,0,0,1,Large hole,0,0,NULL,0.5,0.5,2.5
DamageDescription6= NULL,0.5,0.6,0,0,1,Wall breached,0,0,NULL,0.6,0.5,5
DamageDescription7= NULL,0.6,0.7,0,0,1,Wall breached,0,0,NULL,0.7,0.5,10
DamageDescription8= NULL,0.7,0.8,0,0,1,Wall breached,0,0,NULL,0.8,0.7,15
DamageDescription9= NULL,0.8,0.9,0,0,1,Wall breached,0,0,NULL,0.9,0.7,20
DamageDescription10= NULL,0.9,1,0,0,1,Wall breached,0,0,NULL,1,1,1000000
Basically, with those modifications we do not wont to get caught on surface with our "pants down", avoid direct hit at any cost ... Also, tuning down AI guns precision is needed badly for this to work correctly...

I all ready have some test version of this mod but it needs much more testing , convergement of values and work on compatibility with other mods (like Realistic guns specification mod ).
. I will also use this thread to ask some questions, if that's OK...

Sry for my creepy english... Cheers!

Can somebody explain me values from zones.cfg file, especially those marked with colour? I have some theories but i'd like to hear other opinions...

[UbtRadioRoom]
Multiplier=1.0
Flotability=6.5
HitPoints=200
Destructible=No
Armor Level=-1
Critic Flotation=0.18
Critical=No
Effect1=#dc_bubbles, 30
FloodingTime=260 (in minutes or what?)
CargoType=None

Also, i'm wondering is it possible to create test mission where unit will attack the sub with just one single shot, for example torpedo airplane but without use of cannons or guns? (trying to get some attention )

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-15-13 at 04:31 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote