View Single Post
Old 10-29-21, 12:14 PM   #3603
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My way to Scapa Flow. Leaving Kiel on October 8, 1939 at 11:00 am, I will enter Scapa Flow on a moonless dark night from October 13-14, just after midnight. I will accompany my journey with an artistic narration, reading the chapter "the Bull of Scapa Flow" from Thaddeus V. Tuleja's book "Twilight of the Sea Gods" (1958).

Looking ahead, I want to say that in my sea passage the weather played on the side of history: moving towards Scapa Flow, for all the time I made only one celestial fix with Sun on October 9 and the next few days, until October 13, it was overcast, which made it impossible for celestial navigation (this is also mentioned by Günther Prien in KTB U-47). So I relied on dead reckoning to find the entrance to Holm Sound.
I could not deny myself a trick and before going to Scapa Flow, I found out the coordinates of the navigation light near the coastal defense artillery bunker at the entrance to Holm Sound, but only solely in order to reproduce the historically accurate episode when the position of U-47 was fixed with the Scapa Flow coastal lights, which Prien wrote about in KTB (Prien did it on October 12th, I did it on October 13th before entering Holm Sound)
Going on an 11 hour non-stop trip, I could not know for sure how it would end: my first attempt was interrupted by a spontaneous CTD after 3 hours of playing and then I thought, if I don't get blown up by a mine in Skerry Sound, then CTD will kill me when forcing Skerry Sound.