View Single Post
Old 06-24-15, 07:47 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrirOE View Post
As you can probably guess from the timing, I just picked up Silent Hunter 3Last night I grabbed S3F and ran it, followed by it's 4g patch. I then (mistakenly?) tried to use it to put in H.sie and JSGME. After much banging my head against my keyboard and topic bouncing, I used S3F to create a copy of the steam install (with 4g patch) to a custom directory on C. After which I tried again with H.sie and JSGME via S3F, then performing H.sie manually on both (unsuccessfully). I then manually put in JSGME, and tried using that to implement H.sie also with no success.
I had an older copy of S3F, before the h.sie patch was included, and I had no problem running the patch separately. I still use that older copy and I'm still doing it the same way. It works fine.

Quote:
I'm debating wiping both copies and just starting fresh at this point.
Done that more times than I care to remember.

Quote:
Alternatively, I saw some folks note that GWX works with stock steam SH3. So I'd welcome any suggestions on what makes the most sense, or clarification on processes. OR another thought I had after watching some youtab videos is maybe it would make more sense to start with SH5? I know it's not quite as well received but for a noob would you suggest starting there since I gather it's a bit more accessible- and then introducing the more intense realism/trigonometry: the game stuff after getting my feet wet so to speak?
That really depends more on what you want from the experience than what is easier. If you just want a sub game that looks good and lets you shoot stuff, SH5 is probably better. That said, even with most of its bugs fixed by the latest supermods it still lacks a lot of extras you can get with SH3, and likely always will.

Quote:
Edit: I see more clearly now that the current S3F should perform the H.sie update. I'm going to press the H.sie button and let it sit until I get a notice or it's tomorrow. (the program appears to close, but a process is left running?) After that works/fails I'll try GWX, and then after that works/fails I'll come back to whine/relate my success.
I recently restarted SH3 after a long hiatus, and recorded my experiences in detail here. I don't know if it will help at all, but it is complete log of experimenting with mods and reinstalling the game multiple times.

Whatever course you end up taking, enjoy the experience and don't forget to keep us posted.