View Single Post
Old 02-29-24, 03:40 PM   #557
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Modern SUV's and "go anywhere" vehicles- Most of them feature limited four wheel drive and an automatic transmission. THAT is enough of a handicap in a long term survival situation. Ask yourself, WHY are you going off road in the first place?? Civilization made a big deal about building roads and highways, but all of sudden you know better.
I promise, there are a LOT more sink holes and mud bogs in open fields and the forest than there are on the interstate.
I agree with most of your post except this.

I can easily imagine several scenarios where traversing an open field would be less dangerous than the traveling on the interstate. It could be a parking lot of abandoned vehicles for one thing. For another bandits could be lurking at every choke point and highway cut, and I don't think many open fields will have military roadblocks set up in them.

Then there is the issue of snow. Not sure if you get that stuff where you live but 4WD comes in real handy on both icy snow covered highways and icy snow covered open fields alike.

In any SHTF scenario travel of all kinds will become much more dangerous and will be severely restricted. Best to do any necessary moving around/getting the heck out of Dodge before it gets to that point.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote