View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 04:53 PM   #4573
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
I apologize if this is discussed somewhere in the FOTRSU thread, but I've searched "Mare Island" and "Balao Upgrade" within this thread to see if I could find my issue addressed and haven't found anything applicable, so far.

I started my career on December 8, 1941, and completed my 8th patrol in early February 1943. I had previously been offered and accepted a couple of new boats along the way, but always took command of the new boat at my existing home port. When I completed my 8th patrol, I was offered a Balao to replace my Gato and accepted. I was then sent to Mare Island to take command of the USS Balao. I departed Mare Island on my 9th patrol (1st in the Balao) on February 10, 1943 on an initial mission in Palau Islands area. I stayed out a long time, getting and completing 4 various missions and rearming/refueling at various ports along the way. I finally was ready to head home in late May 1943 (had taken some hull damage from depth charges along the way) and just automatically headed to Mare Island since that was where I started the patrol. I arrived at Mare Island on June 7, 1943. After that long haul from South China Sea to California, I discovered that I couldn't end my patrol at Mare Island. It hen dawned on me that Mare Island didn't have the home port symbol that differentiates a boat's home port from all other US ports, so I was probably never meant to come back there. I looked around all over the Pacific and Australia for my new home port thinking that maybe I missed something in my patrol orders, it was never intended for me to go back to Mare Island and I had been destined for a new forward base all along. Alas, I can find no evidence of a home port anywhere. Have I done something wrong, did I miss something, am I doomed to a never ending patrol for the rest of the war? Hope someone can set me straight. In the meantime, USS Balao is anchored in the bay and the crew is really enjoying San Francisco and hoping that their hapless commander never gets this sorted. Thanks in advance.

Loadout: FOTRSU 1.7p3, RWR_APR_Patch, FOTRSU Position Keeper Tweak, 454c_EasyAOB_InputTargetDistanceOnTBT, 399c2_NoScrollNavMap - OAKsSameSizedDials, 450_MoonlightzSonarLines, Combined Roster (NM/NK).

Edit: Checked again and Mare Island does have the leaning anchor for home port. Didn't notice it at first. I pulled up and parked it at the dock. Still only lets me rearm/refuel or postpone. No end mission.
In several places in the mod documentation is mention of not taking boats before their active dates, which are listed in the Submarine Availability pdf file in the Support / ExtraInfo folder. There is also another file BoatsByMonth pdf in the same folder. If you score too high in the game, it will "reward" you with a boat that is much too early. This has been an issue since day one of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific, and they never were able to "fix" it. Same with some of the conning tower updates and mis-matched equipment. The Balao has
UnitInterval= 1943-05-21, 1963-07-11
so should NEVER under any circumstances be accepted prior to that date. The first base it is available is Mare Island, which is quite different from Treasure Island. Notice that Mare is around the corner to the left of Treasure Island, and up inside San Pablo Bay, not San Francisco Bay. The next available Base is Brisbane
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-06-03, 1943-11-12
(transfers to Milne Bay). Pearl is
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-07-01, NULL
Mare Island is
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-05-24, 1943-07-12
You may have missed the mission dates for Mare Island, might be why you are no longer allowed to dock there. Brisbane is next inline, and becomes active 1st in June, as noted. I'm not certain you will be able to salvage what you have career-wise, but it might work to go sit at Brisbane until July... Just remember, for the future, to NOT take the Tench prior to January 1945... btw, what is "FOTRSU Position Keeper Tweak" mod?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote