View Single Post
Old 06-13-08, 07:46 AM   #25
Takao
Officer

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Yeah, I goofed the first time around. But to make up for it...I've found PLANS to I-14.
Now there is no scale for the plans just go by frame number. But, they are there: Top view, side view, and cross sectionals

I've uploaded them to my filefront page in folder USNTMJ or go to the webpage:
http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/primary_documents/gvt_reports/USNAVY/USNTMJ%20Reports/USNTMJ_toc.htm
Ok the link still directs to the main page for the Fischer Tropsch Archive. The work around is this, just do a copy of the web address and paste it in the address bar of your web browser. Or goto the main page. Under the Primary Documents, click on Government Reports. From that page, click on U.S. Naval Technical Mission to Japan.

scroll down to SERIES S: SHIP AND RELATED TARGETS JM-200-G and do a "Save as" on
S-01-7 Charateristics of Japanese Naval Vessels- Article 7, Submarines

The plans can be found beginning on pg 45 of the document. There is also a grainy pic taken from the bow looking aft towards the island on pg 49.

It all began because every source I have mentions that the I-14 had a deck gun, but in the pictures I scanned, there is no sign of one. So I went back to the Fischer-Tropsch Archive website and started looking through the US Technical Mission to Japan documents to confirm the lack of a deck gun on I-14. Not only did I find confirmation that no deck gun was on I-14 when the Americans took it over, but I found the Deck Plans too!

Now the question is was a gun fitted and then removed or was one never mounted on I-14, but fitted to other submarines of the class?

Interesting....

*NOTE* I listed the parent site for the U.S. Naval Technical Mission to Japan. I have changed it to the direct link to their documents. Sorry for the error. Stupid frames.

Last edited by Takao; 06-13-08 at 09:26 AM.
Takao is offline   Reply With Quote