View Single Post
Old 08-01-11, 06:20 PM   #3119
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Tonight's report ~ U-23 ravages the English Channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Riley View Post
3rd war patrol of U-23 ,type VIIB
Patrol orders - patrol grid AM79 ,Western Approaches,SW Ireland

24th Nov 1939

We set sail from Wilhelmshaven in our new VIIB on our mission to patrol AM79,the Western Approaches.
With our new trident emblem our spirits are high for we believe the mighty sea god is on our side and will spurn the allies in the carnage yet to come.

25th ,day 1
AN79
No events other than our daily positional report

26th ,day 2
We sighted a lone vessel during our transit into the channel and proceeded to intercept.Vessel was ID'd as a British Granville on course 219 and doing 5 kts.Due to the close proximity of the target to its home ports predicting its steady course due to course changes would be difficult,so I decided to move in behind the vessel and close in for a running attack with decks awash at approx 1000m.I chose a magnetic tip for the attack due to the very narrow profile of the target as we were directly astern of it.
After much maneuvering we finally closed in undetected behind our target to a range of approx 1000m and matched speed at 5kts to mask our engine noise and fired 1 at a depth of 7m.Torpedo prematurely detonated giving our presence away.We instantly blew ballast and shelled the vessel which sank for 4.708 GRT ,expending 25 rds.
Multiple warship contacts were on the horizon at this point and we wasted no time in leaving the area to proceed on our mission.I dived to periscope depth and surfaced after 1 hour submerged.The coast was clear again.
After the foolish choice of choosing a magnetic tip I have decided to ruthlessely refrain from using them again and switched to impact tips,BDU did warn all boats about this problem!.
BF33. A second warship was sighted and we dived to periscope depth again.
We picked up a merchant sound contact heading our way but was unable to surface due to the warship on the horizon
The coast was clear again and I decided to pursue the sound contact blowing ballast at full speed

End of report
Leutnant Z.S. Gerhard Hunstein

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Continued from previous report

Visual contact was made on the sound contact.Vessel was ID'd as a French large merchant on course 47 doing 8kts.Prepared for a submerged perpendicular attack at approx 500m.
ETA of enemy vessel - approx 1 hr.
We overhauled for slightly longer than anticipated.
Fired 1 set to a depth of 2m in an attempt to cause fires,for during some of our previous attacks enemy hulls appear quite strong and so causing fires may seem like a valid tactic.Torpedo passed slightly aft of target,possible incorrect torpedo speed setting.Torpedo exploded moments later.I immediately ordered the tanks to be blown and we shelled the target for a total of 8.357 GRT.This was quite a costly engagement as we expended almost 30-40 shells!.
Moments before the vessel was confirmed 'dead' we were spotted in the far distance by what looked like a fast moving vessel,possibly a torpedo boat in an attempt to aid the pathetic Frenchmen.We immediately left the scene and I ordered a crash dive set to 20m.We remained undetected and carried on our mission.

Total tonnage so far - 2 sunk for 13.065 GRT , 12 torpedoes remain , 151 rds HE

After scanning the horizon at normal and zoom magnification the coast was clear and we surfaced,resuming our journey.
We sighted another vessel and proceeded to investigate.Vessel was ID'd as a French small merchant.
I decided to conserve our torpedoes and engaged the vessel with the gun.Ship finally sunk for 2.594 GRT , 29 rds expended

Total so far - 3 sunk for 15.659 GRT

Grid BF33
Patrol craft spotted,dived to 20m and initiated standard evasion procedure (SEP) for approx 1 hr.
Surfaced , 1hr 45 mins smd,recharged batteries.
Sighted a further 2 patrol craft in the area,looked like torpedo boats,decided to evade on the surface with decks awash as light was fading quite quickly.

27th Nov , day 3

Another patrol craft spotted,SEP
Grid BF26
Sighted a vessel in the distance,later ID'd as a British medium cargo,course 263 doing 8kts.As there was still some cover left as it wasnt quite dawn yet I decided to carry out a running attack decks awash at approx 1000m.Finally drew up alongside the vessel undetected and slowed our speed to match.Fired 1 at bearing 290 set to a depth of 5m.Torpedo passed slightly across target's bow,again another speed error! true speed was 7kts.
Luckily the torpedo passed harmlessly away and we remained undetected.I set up for a second attack keeping all settings except target speed.Torpedo slammed directly beneath the funnel,however vessel was still afloat albeit slowed to a practical crawl.We finished off our meal with the deck gun and the vessel sank for 3.847 GRT , approx 26 rds expended.

Total so far - 4 sunk for 19.506 GRT
8 torpedoes remaining
84 HE shells

Almost out of the Channel we sight another coastal vessel.I originally decided this was a small fishing boat and proceeded to abort an attack yet upon closer inspection this turned out to be a British coastal tanker,an important supply ship.Moved in close and opened fire with the gun at close range causing huge fires on the deck.Vessel finally sank for 1.294 GRT

Total so far - 5 sunk for 20.800 GRT

Grid BF25
Warship was sighted,dived to periscope depth , SEP
All clear and we surfaced after approx 1 hr smd
Further warship sighting,DPD , SEP
Sfd,1 hr smd
Just over a day away from our assigned grid and we are still hungry!

End of report
Leutnant Z.S. Gerhard Hunstein

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also managed to take a few shots of the action tonight,in fact this is the first time I have been able to do this after applying the res fix,which appears to cause some problems with screenshots.The shots were done through Irfanview as kindly recommended by Jimbuna,yet I am not 100% happy with the quality of the shots,especially the colour reproduction,and the lighting seems either too bright or too dark than in game.Trust me,in game it looks a lot better,but I guess they arent THAT bad.Once I manage to get rid of the GUI etc future shots should look brilliant!.
Nonetheless,here they are.Hope you like some of em

U-23 overhauling a distant ship

U-23 stalking a ship decks awash

U-23 leaving the scene after a vicious deck gun engagement

More deck gunning at night

More night gunning!

Daytime gunning.Notice the strange line across the horizon?,this wasnt in the game

Some more day gunning

And some more

And the last one...for now

Last edited by Paul Riley; 08-02-11 at 03:14 AM.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote