View Single Post
Old 06-20-12, 06:18 PM   #3925
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
Now to re-install - that usually takes all day with re-booting, testing, and manipulating TMO to get the silhouettes back on my contact/attack maps. Any TMO stuff I need to do is, of course, done before I enable it. I just hate those blobs
That is what I do too. All the tweaking (not including mods installation, thats quick) take a day or two, but thats make me even more eager to finally start the game and play.

Quote:
Last night, I also took a look at the 'extra' ships in RSRDC. Using Paint.Net I found NO silhouettes in any of the *_shp.dds files - the files were there (6Kb), but nothing was showing for the image (except the checkered background). I hadn't noticed before that these ships don't have silhouettes when attacking, so color me confused. Perhaps I'm using the wrong program to view the images. Any idea which program would be better to view .dds files?

It's alpha channel that make ship silhouettes not visible. Actually there are couple methods of doing it: it may be just empty picture with alpha channel, or the ship silhouette may be there but hidden behind\covered by alpha channel (you can do that in Photoshop) or the ship silhouette may be on alpha channel, so to remove it one would have to "clear" the alpha channel of it (not entirly sure right now how it works in sh4). In Paint.Net it works differently, but the effect is the same: open layer properties and set opacity to zero, save.
To view dds files I use xnview (hit ctrl+h to show/hide alpha channel on files that have it). There is somewhere on nvidia website small (and old) dds viewer, it can display a lot of usefull info about dds, like number of mip maps, what type of compression a texture is using, and alpha channel of course, but it crashes on my win 7 system (don't know why as it was working for some time).
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote