View Single Post
Old 03-31-17, 09:30 AM   #1
Jonesy
Sailor man

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo question - automatic targeting on TMO

I've been getting back into SH4 with the TMO mod after spending some time with SH3, and I found a small difference of behavior with the torpedoes that I hope someone can help me with.

Now, I play with automatic targeting turned on, and on SH3 I was pretty used to using the 'lock' option on the periscope, it would lock the crosshairs at about midships, and you could be pretty certain that the torpedo would pretty much hit more or less where it was pointed out, taking into account that you got into a good position before shooting, and shooting from about 600 m away.

now, on SH4 TMO, i have found that using the same tactics does not produce the best results....the torpedoes seems to hit further back on the ship, and sometimes just miss the back, this is shooting at merchant ships that were not aware of my presence before the torpedoes were fired.
I have found I get better results by not using the lock option, and instead manually pointing at the very leading edge of the bow of the ship....and then I get a hit closer to midships.

It seems to me that either:
1 - the speed of the ship is getting underestimated by the automatic targeting system
2- the torpedoes are running slower than the speed that they are set to.

In my current career I just got the report for the battle of midway, to give you an ideia of the date in case this is related to torpedo behavior.

Could someone shed some light as for the the reason for this?
-am I doing something wrong?
-is this just the game simulating some sort of irregular torpedo behavior?
-is the game just simulating that maybe I have a green crew member calculating the ship's speed?

thanks in advance.