Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

2 September 1943
Amphibious task forces suffer heavy losses in surface hit-and-run attack
US submarine fleet has an especially productive day

South China Sea
USS Hoe torpedoed and sank a PB near Singapore.

USS Capelin torpedoed and sank a cargo ship off the northeastern coast of Borneo.

DEI
Our landings at Namlea, nearly complete, were interrupted by the appearance of an enemy surface combat task force (2CA, 10DD). Our force was protected by 2CL and 5 DD. It ended up being a complete slaughter. Before sunrise we'd lost both CLs, 2 DD, 1 APA, 1 AKA, 4 LST, 6 LCT, and 9 PT. Damage to the enemy force was insignificant.

We tried to get them back from the air but it didn't work out. 4 PBYs went first, only to find the task force with nearly 50 fighters overhead. One was shot down before they escaped. Beaufighters went next, taking 10 losses without ever reaching the ships. B-25s attempted low level attacks as well, taking 4 losses and also not getting to the ships. I may have screwed up a bit here... There was a dive bomber squadron in Boela that might have been able to get in on this and be far more effective. But due to overstacking I'd stood them down for the day to prioritize giving the phibs fighter cover. I should have stood down the Beaufighters instead. At the time I was thinking more range was better.

B-24 raids on Ambon reportedly destroyed a Tony and a Judy on the ground. 4 Tojos opposed the raid, nowhere near enough to stop it. A P-38 sweep arrived later and shot down 2 of them.

Celebes Sea
USS Peto torpedoed and sank 2 PBs off the southern Philippine coast, in two separate attacks.

Bay of Bengal/Burma
USS Puffer torpedoed and sank a PB off the coast of Port Blair.

Georges swept Bassein (adjacent to Rangoon), shooting down 5 P-40s with no losses.

Reinforcements
SS Archerfish arrives at Balboa