robj250
Sea Lord

Location: Port Hardy, BC, Canada 75 yo with M.S. & C.O.P.D. & heart problems
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyACE
Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this game. I don't have any experience with SH as this is the first sub game I have ever played. Just got it a few days ago and am still only on the Naval Academy part. I'm currently trying to pass the Torpedo training and exam. This forum and especially this thread have been extremely helpful and I thank all the great people that are a part of this community. Now I have some questions:

1. I'm eager to try the GWX mod but am confused. I went to the link underneath the sig of one of the members to download the mod but found a list of different files with GWX in their name fields. Are all these for the mod, like different parts or do I just need to download one of them?

2. This is related to GWX as well. I already created a profile for myself within the game but haven't started an actual career yet, still in Navy Academy. After I have installed GWX, will I be able to continue with my current profile with the new changes and additions of the mod or will I have to make a new one?

3. I have already downloaded the SH3Comdr27 mod and the Sh3Gen_v082 mod. Are these the most current versions? Also, should these two be installed after GWX or before? I know they're supposed to be stand-alone mods but I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is correct.

4. Here's the current list of essential mods that are recommended:
- GWX
- SH3Comdr2
- Sh3Gen_v082

Do I have all of them covered or are there other mods that you would recommend for a newbie?
Welcome Dirty Ace.

Regarding question 1. There are five file with the GWX name. You have to download them into a separate folder. Now wait and read the rest first before installing it.

You mention that you have just started in Silent Hunter 3 and are presently going through the training. I fully support your finishing the Acadamey training and then play a few game to get the feel of things before installing GWX. Your present profile will be okay and can be used with GWX.

If you intend to install GWX after you finish your naval academy, DO NOT add any mods except JSGME.

GWX MUST be installed in a CLEAN SH3, in other words, not mods installed installed except for JSGME.

The reason I suggest that you get the feel for the game using just SH3, is that you fill find a total difference in GWX, much harder, but lots of fun.

Yes you may use your current career; BUT, what you must do first, before installing GWX, is to rename the folder in My Documents that is called Silent Hunter. The reason you must do this is, if you wish to use your current career, you must rename the file, I suggest Silent Hunter_org because when you install GWX, it will create the folder Silent Hunter in MY Documents. Now simply copy what is in the fold you renamed, and open the folder that GWX made, and paste. The reason I suggest this, is because you will have a copy of your original start.

Now I'm not absolutely sure about the new folder, perhaps K.L. or Mel will respond and clarify this.

With respect to question 3. The two files you mentioned can be installed before you install GWX, but I'm not sure of the version numbers, so do not use them until you have tried a few games using the plain Silent Hunter 3. BTW, did you upgrade SH3 with the 1.4 upgrade? You must have that installed before you can go any further.

Now I'm sure other will follow with additional instructions, as I'm quite old and have a "feeble" mind, can't remember things correctly about the initial install, because it was so long ago.

You might want to wait for GWX 1.4, but I'm not sure of the release date.

Welcome aboard and HAPPY HUNTING!

Rob
robj250 is offline   Reply With Quote