View Single Post
Old 06-30-10, 05:44 AM   #85
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aergistal View Post
Rust is not so efficient at absorbing radar radiation.

It looks good. Can use even more displacement as seen here:

Nice work!
You know the term "Iron Oxide" listed in the Tarnmatte materials list...
Quote:
Tarnmatte
This was a radar absorbing material used to coat snorkel heads to shield them from allied radar. It consisted of a compound of synthetic rubber and iron oxide and was claimed to have 90 percent effectiveness in reducing radar signature.
Well guess what that material is... Tarnmatte was made from rust suspended in a rubber compound... Alberich and Tarnmatte are very simular in that Alberich coating contained Air pockets to dampen sound, Tarnmatte had Rust pockets to dampen or reflect the radar return away from the source Radar. Most likely reflecting the radar return signal straight up.
Quote:
Wikipedia: Oxide
An oxide is a chemical compound containing at least one oxygen atom as well as at least one other element. Most of the Earth's crust consists of oxides. Oxides result when elements are oxidized by oxygen in air. Combustion of hydrocarbons affords the two principal oxides of carbon, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. Even materials that are considered to be pure elements often contain a coating of oxides. For example, aluminium foil has a thin skin of Al2O3 that protects the foil from further corrosion.

Oxides, such as iron(III) oxide or rust, which consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3), form when oxygen combines with other elements.
I suspect that if the Tarnmatte creation process included some type of controlled polorazation (magnetic alignment). Having each subsequent layer polorized to different angles. The Tarnmatte efectiveness would have been increased even more then the 90% signature reduction it was claimed to have.

As for giving more depth perception to the the Tarnmatte Texture: The game has limits to what can be done. If I try to raise the texture more it will just turn black.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 06-30-10 at 06:50 AM.
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote