View Single Post
Old 04-06-21, 09:51 AM   #22
Sosondowah
Watch

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
First things first: have you attempted to activate any mods, or is this a bone-stock install? Have you tried to clear the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4")? Navigate to that folder and delete it. Everything below it will be re-created when you start the game again. However, you will lose all game progress - if you have an. Another technique would be to move the folder out of Documents for safe-keeping elsewhere, or copy and paste it somewhere else.

Have you set the video stream correctly? Your monitor has a "native" resolution, such as 1920x1080 or similar, which Windows will refer to as "(recommended)" after the numbers, such as "1920x1080 (recommended)" or "1366x768 (recommended)" or some-such. Be sure you have Windows set like that, unless you are doing HDMI, in which case, Windows will set it to whatever it wants... I do not use anything with the DisplayPort connector, so I am uncertain as to how Windows handles those. Be sure your "Scaling" is set to 100%. Look at those Properties settings in the link on the previous page again, and make certain that you have the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked, as well as the "Override high DPI scaling... Application" from the "Change high DPI behavior" button. On one of my computers, I have to tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode - Windows 7", on another I do not. On one of my computers, I have to tick the "Run this program as an administrator", on the other I do not. It all depends upon your hardware and OS settings. It took a LOT of experimentation on the newest beast I have, to find the correct combination.

What can sometimes help is to edit the "Main.cfg" file with a text editor, such as Windows Notepad or Notepad++ or similar, to match your video settings, but set it to windowed. If the game ran previously, that file is usually found in the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 \data \cfg" folder. "UserName" being the name that you log into the computer with, and "Documents" might be "My Documents". The first line under the heading "[Video]" in the file to look for is similar to "Resolution=1768,992,30,22" or maybe "Resolution=1024,768,30,22" or similar. Match your Windows video setting. The other line is "FullScreen=No", which you might change to "FullScreen=Yes". This should be unnecessary to do. A person with SH3 might need to do this.

I have 3 computers with Win10 on them. 1) A Core2 quad-core Running Win10 Insider, fast circle, with an nVidia 560Ti card, minimal changes (High DPI changes though). 2) A 5th gen Core i5 laptop running Win10 Home "Local" log-in, with onboard Intel graphics, minimal changes, (Run as administrator). 3) An i7 920 running Win10 Home retail, with dual nVidia 980 cards, and this one was a real bother to get SH4 running reliably on, and Win10 seems to constantly want to change all of my user settings for the "legacy" apps with each update, like my cell fones do... - everything is ticked on it, and is the basis of the illustration in that previous post.
Thank you for the effort, but it's a Windows problem.

Sosondowah is offline   Reply With Quote