View Single Post
Old 10-02-17, 07:58 PM   #37
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I think all automatic weapons should be banned, you don't hunt game with machine guns!!!
The gun laws here in Australia are the opposite, it is very hard to get a license for a single shot .22 for example, ridiculous when you live in a country area where the nearest house is a mile away!! (sorry about the rant)
For the USA at least, it is extremely difficult for the average person to get an automatic weapon. There's a TON of paperwork and licensing involved and even then it's still illegal to hunt with an automatic weapon. In Missouri, you can't hunt with an automatic gun or a gun with magazine capacity over 10 and Missouri has very loose legislation.

They're not banned necessarily...but it is illegal for the average person to have one.

To buy an automatic weapon you have to have a full ATF/FBI background screening, fully register the firearm federally, fingerprints, recent photo, chief law enforcement approval, etc etc and it takes a long time.

The only problem is that laws only apply to those that follow them. I've never heard of anybody defend owning an NFA/Automatic firearm by saying they hunt with it. It's usually collectors, history buffs, or EXTREME hobbyists in my experience.

There's also the bump fire modifications like the one linked above that's a bit of a loophole but still frowned upon. Thanks Julhelm for the video. I entirely forgot that the stocks exist that allow you to do that. Without modifying the gun, it is possible to fire quick bursts like that....but only in very quick bursts.

--

That surprises me a little bit about Australia. I would figure they'd be a little looser on gun legislation.