View Single Post
Old 11-10-14, 08:58 PM   #374
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerikTelorian View Post
Geoff, thanks for working on this title. It's really a fantastic little bit of software. I've always had a thing for games that give you lots of buttons/switches to manage, it's a really neat experience!

I've lurked the thread a bit but haven't caught the language you're using for this: are you writing it in C++, or something else?

Is there an ability to abandon a sub or is this a bit of fluff? All of my excursions have ended in the deep.
Thanks! Glad you like it. I'm a big fan of those kinds of games too, especially the DCS series.

Sub Commander is coded in BlitzPlus (http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/blitzplus.php) although I eventually plan to port it to BlitzMax, which is much newer and will allow Mac/Linux compatibility and better graphics (including support for custom tilesets) among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
I've downloaded and unpacked this promising game, but when I run subcommander_0_25.exe I just get a brief flash of a black window and nothing more.

Setting windowed = 0 in gameoptions.ini gives me a full screen of black, and a flash of some controls, but this too dies after a couple of seconds. I've also tried disabling OpenGL which had no effect at all.

I can't see any posts from people with any issues at all with this game, so I cannot imagine what might be the problem on my system.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with an Nvidia GTX 760.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem?

Update

I've just seen the "Crashes, Bugs and Troubleshooting" thread, which is where this post belongs. Could an admin move it for me please?
That's very unusual The only possible solutions I can think of at the moment are adding the game to the DEP exclusion list and running it as an administrator. If that doesn't help, try downloading an older version of the game and see if that works - if it does, let me know and I can compare the two versions to see what could be causing the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritZ View Post
JerikTelorian, Tango589 it is a bit of artistic license. I would be a cool, albeit kinda useless feature.

TheGeoff, have you considered making the crewmen move out of a room if there is radiation in it? It's a little annoying when I send in an unprotected guy to assess the damage, and then he just sits around and absorbs enough radiation to turn into the hulk.
Yeah, I should probably make the crew avoid heavily irradiated compartments where possible. At the moment crew can't detect radiation levels at all, so they just act like it isn't there until they start shaking and vomiting - I've been thinking of adding a Geiger counter as a piece of equipment which allows the crew carrying it to sense and avoid radiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale View Post
Once again RPG has nice things to say about this game. And many posters in the comments section agree!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...sub-commander/

Awesome! I knew something must've happened when the download rate briefly went from about 10 people per day to ~700 people per day
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote