Old 01-24-21, 07:05 PM   #4
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
[...]my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate[...]

Double-clicking the "SHIII.exe", the first time, does nothing. Whether it's the actually exe or a shortcut...nothing much seems to happen...maybe a bit of HDD access but game will not open. Double-clicking a second time on the EXE or shortcut opens the game immediately.

This may be some Windows 7 UAC stupidity...I don't know as no errors come up on first attempt. It's a minor annoyance BUT...I would like to ensure it is not an indication of something importantly wrong with this install before I move ahead.
An addition to what stork100 wrote:
This behavior is related to GameUX.dll.

The DLL tries to phone Home to get a DVD-Inlet-Picture for SH3 (MyDocuments\myPictures\SH3.jpg) and tells Microsoft that you will be playing SH3 now. When no Internet connection exist this will Fail, the DLL waits some time. Around 5 Minutes or so, before the game will be started. So when the "2nd Start" ends, there may be the "first" (later started) game in the background. When an Internet-connection is established the game will start immediatly.

This behavior was heavily discussed on Microsoft-Servers when this pops up for the first time on Win7 before April 2015. On more hardened Win7-machines it may "takeown" and "cacls" are needed to rename that DLL. This will eliminate this problem, but will also take down the "GameManager" in Win7, on which other installed games may relay on.

HTH.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote