View Single Post
Old 11-04-21, 03:38 AM   #6004
pikke
Sparky

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default U48 - Type VIIb - 1st patrol - part 3

December 18, 1939 AN73
0104 U48 was moving on the surface when lookouts spotted a torpedo boat approaching. We dived to periscope depth to avoid detection and soon after sonar operator detected a merchant slowly closing from the south. U48 is now operating submerged at 5 knots, moving south to intercept.

0148 Target spotted on the horizon. It's moving our way at 6 knots. Torpedo boat still in the area. Changing course to SW to get closer.

0158 Medium cargo, that's what our target is. Another warship contact is joining the party. Sounds like another torpedo boat.

0227 We are about 600 meters off to starboard. Will fire a single torpedo aiming at her bow. I hope it's enough but I can always finish her off if need be. Both torpedo boats are visible right now, each about 2000 meters away from us, one NW and the other SW of our position. Tube 2...fire!

0227 Impact! Small fire is going on. Periscope down and changing course.

0229 Both torpedo boats running in...down to 20 meters just to be sure...

0342 Target is down to 2 knots and heavy nosed. Torpedo boat still about and a trawler-sounding contact is coming from the north.

0440 U48 is now about 3 km away from our target. That ASW trawler came straight our way and we had to move away to avoid detection. It's now patrolling halfway between our uboat and the merchant. Both torpedo boats still in the area too. But that medium cargo is dead on the water and burning like Hell...I don't think she will go anywhere.

0458 The cargo is sinking. In the last few minutes there were many secondary explosions. U48 will move away submerged and surface when the warships are out of sight.

1341 Ship spotted north east of our position, heading NW. A small cargo vessel. Lowering our boat on the surface and closing distance.

1349 Another ship spotted! Another small cargo, about 2 km behind the first one, on similar course. Nice! We are diving now.

1355 First target is a Tramp Steamer moving at 6 knots, secondary target still unidentified but moving at 8 knots on a slightly northish course. Weather is good, I think I'll shot one eel at the first and then come up and do a deck gun attack on the second one, then finish the first off if need be.

1358 First tramp steamer is a neutral...changing course to close on the other one, identified as tramp steamer too.

1410 Warship coming from the south at medium speed...and this one sounds like a destroyer...not good.

1413 This is a British tramp steamer...getting data for TDC...

1421 Torpedo impact! She is burning already. U48 will move on the other side and put some distance between us.

1423 Destroyer increased speed and is now moving fast. But I believe this steamer is done...secondary explosion and new fires started. She is already slowing down too.

1430 U48 is now about 2 and a half km away to the north. Just spotted the destroyer rushing in but I don't think it will pick on us. Steamer is dead on the water and almost under.

1438 Tramp steamer is sinking. Destroyer is patrolling the area but nowhere close to us. U48 will slip away to the north.
pikke is offline   Reply With Quote