View Single Post
Old 03-19-20, 03:25 PM   #1526
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I've had to conclude that the passing generation who knew how to co-operate and face a crisis with stoicism and decency have been followed by a different beed entirely. Not all, of course but very, very many... to see such selfishness everywhere now just astonishes me

And these people are often using their economic advantage to elbow others aside: huge cars in which to hoard their booty and wads of cash enabling them to buy up extra freezers in which to store the stuff. Yes, I got this today from a friend's wife who works at a local white goods store... all the freezers have suddenly sold out!

These are the kind of people who would push women and kids out of the lifeboats and it makes me ashamed to think they're my own countrymen
Its hunters in the jungle, and while we all have that in our genes and it is instinct driven, it is sharpened by cultural conditioning (because culture is an extension of our naturalistic origin, in the end: whether it be as a compensaioin for deficits in our nature, or an extension of it), which tells us somethign about our cultures we are so proud of, maybe.

But then there is also stories that are of the opposite quality. For exmaple I red today abiout a mother with a child whose shelkves and ridge were almost empty, and she was desparte and send an appeal while beign in tears via some social emdia - and shor time later foreign people had manged to get her flat filled up.

And then there are thiose who are willing to help, but do not think abiout how and thus do more harm than good. People with a social lfie that is very active wanti8ng to care for the elderly by doing shopping for them. But it is exactly ths ekind of people that should NOT approach the elderly,m becasue they have a much igher risk of carrying the vorus and not knowing it, due to their socially active lives.

IUn these times, the socially best bthing many of us can do is to not add to the workload of those who must and do and want to work the imortant work, anbd to stay in self isolation. Keep in contact via the many ways of communication modenr tehcnology has given us. For exmaple it really lights my mum's candle that we do not just talk on phone daily, but use Google Duo so that she can see me. It seems to be a minor thing only, but in fact it makes such a huge difference! Maybe not for yourself, if you are like that. But for the other.

P.S. The virus lives on plastic and steel for 3 days, so if you shop for the llederly, clean surfaces of boxes and glasses with a virus-killing fluid oir swipe before leavong thign son their doorstep, also clean the handles of the box you carry it in, and then tell them they also should clean it again. Smear infections are possble, and a risk that shgoud not be ignroed. That includes the surface of fruits and vegetable!!!!!! I do not understand why this is always not mentioned by nobody. Its not as if the skin of an apple has some anti-viral agens in it, no?!