View Single Post
Old 12-28-13, 10:41 AM   #6735
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I don't use Auto Targeting either. I have it set to Manual, but use Watch Officer Assistance, so my information has to updated manually. It may not be realistic, but to me it feels that way. I'd be happier if he wasn't perfect all the time, though.
IIRC, KM doctrine called for the 1WO to make all observations for surface attack, so using the UZO yourself is not historically correct. Sub commander was supposed to make all periscope observations, but he didn't have to enter the data himself. Identification Party took care of target ID, based on information from the Approach Officer and anyone else who had seen the target (lookouts prior to submerging). Target ID was not determined R/T and was not required for a firing solution. Ned Beach (USN, but procedures were essentially identical) describes an ID made 24 hours after the target was sunk.

The problem we have is that, if we use the crew for assistance, as was historically correct, they are inhumanly fast and infallibly accurate. Ideally, Watch Officer Assistance would use the skill rating of the officer in question to determine both time delay and accuracy. But I'm dreaming....
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote