View Single Post
Old 04-06-19, 01:07 PM   #4611
DaveR
A-ganger

Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0
radar the reefs of marshal islands

thanks divemonkie, looking into now.

(had launched two torps, as scope was going down, noticed 2nd torp veered to the left, supposed to be '0' gyro. noticed range had changed from 1K to 4K yards)

ended first mission in marshal islands (MI), with 2 ships and 18K tons. it would have been more if not for dud, dud, dud, dud ………… in fact, last ship was finished off by 35 shells.

and then there was the unusual; chasing contact, just below the coral reef at 8'49"/162'39", in open water, when 'BANG', took 9 points hull damage, minor damage in different compartments and all the crew got minor injuries in two compartments. all damage/injuries were cleared up after 15 minutes. tree trunk? looked around, couldn't see nothing and depth gage said over 1000 feet. (?) that contact ended up in the area above and appeared to be an oiler hung up on a reef. fired spread from open water, but had a feeling they weren't going to make it and they didn't. one by one they all blew up; I assume on a reef; (great, no duds).

then later, right when I loaded a saved game, another bang and alarms went off. the only damage I could find was 2 points against the AA gun. again, couldn't see anything around the boat.

after the sinking's, the MI area was now swarming with patrol craft. no matter where I went, one after another; (actually, all were patrol craft). learned a way of determining these bloodhound craft. would start a long range tracking. if tracking changed radically, would turn the craft so it was at 6 o'clock. would then go to flank; but, of coarse, would lose contact in sub's wash. after around 10 min, would turn 20 degrees and yep there is the bloodhound. normally, after another 15 or more minutes, would lose contact.
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote