View Single Post
Old 12-16-13, 10:51 AM   #4543
coinbird
Watch

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

After not having played a subsim in years I suddenly got the urge to play again. After trying to make SH V fun I gave up and went back to the tried and true SH 3 with GWX gold edition. The graphics may feel a little dated today but the game play is so much better than SH V that it can be overlooked.

I started up a campaign beginning in 1939 out of Kiel in a little sardine can known as the type IIA. I ont have too much exciting to report over the next few months that followed other than what just happened on my last patrol.

On the night of February 20th after having decided to stretch the operational limits of my little coastal sub I spotted a task force just west of Scotland and North of Ireland. I could barely make out a silhouette of a battleship in the task forces center. It was too dark and too far away for me to get a confirmed visual on which battleship it was, especially since I am still a rather inexperienced captain! I took my best guess and identified it as the Nelson.

I was now approximately 3.6ish km away from the battleship and wanted to get closer still but I saw two destroyers moving about oddly and getting rather too close for comfort. Quickly, I set tubes 1 and 3 to fast and magnetic. I took a final range, which was still about 3.6 km distance and took a quick 20 second speed-reading of the battleship.

After having launched tubes 1 and 3 (didnt shoot tube 2 for a full spread) I dived deeper from submerged para scope depth to approximately 115 metres. My crew could hear the bang of only one torpedo.

The following depth charge attacks were done by three or for destroyers and lasted maybe two hours when my hydrophone officer reported a battleship going down. Not too long after that the destroyers moved on.

A revenge class battleship has been sunk by a single torpedo of a type IIA sub!
coinbird is offline   Reply With Quote