View Single Post
Old 04-14-11, 11:40 AM   #3173
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Does anyone else have a problem with "phantom" ships that you don't get credit for sinking, no matter how "sunk" they look?

I've run across a couple in my most recent patrol. One was a Hakasuka (not totally sure of the spelling) Maru, the large 8000+ ton one. Three shots made it slip mostly below the waves. Then it kind of froze, heeled over at least 60 degrees with just part of the bow sticking out of the water and debris floating about, but...I never got the "She's going down!" message and the accompanying credit.

I shot the remainder of my torpedoes, several dozen deck gun rounds, and a few hundred 40mm HE rounds into the apparent wreck, with no obvious result. Torps impacted and deck gun rounds punched holes in the ship, but...no credit.

I reloaded from an earlier save, ignored the phantom Hakasuka, then had much the same experience with a wayward Wakizaki (again, spelling uncertain) Patrol Boat (~1200 tons). It went down by the stern, then came to rest with about half the hull sticking out of the water at a steep angle. Very weird, as we were in water over 300 feet deep.

Is this a known TMO bug, or just more general SH4 foolishness?

FWIW, I had not been in this area of the ocean before on my current patrol, so I don't think it was the old "ghost ship" problem. These ships were on the move, not at anchor.