View Single Post
Old 11-23-19, 07:13 AM   #133
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9us View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did exactly this because I interpreted the FOTRSU documentation that way. English isn't my primary language so it's not surprising if I misunderstood parts of the instructions

Anyway, I've had way less CTDs now that I've started to take precautions in terms of where I save the game and how I reload saved games. This is the strategy that I've employed so far:

- I try to save at least 200nm from any port, city, and airfield.
- I very rarely save the game when in an active patrol area, i.e. I usually try to go the whole 5 or 10 days without saving.
- I only save when I'm surfaced.
- I try to save only when there's nothing of note around, i.e. if there's an incoming airplane on the radar or an enemy task force report withint 200nm, I try to wait it out or relocating before saving.
- When reloading the game, I always restart the game entirely first. Yeah it takes some time, but it's worth it if it means I won't lose progress due to CTDs.
- I never use the automatically saved games.

The above has worked pretty darn reliable with my 1024 TC limit that I put in the config files. A couple of days back I raised it to 2048 because the travel time between the home ports and the patrol areas early game took forever, and lo and behold I started to experience a few CTDs, both around the '42-'43 Solomon airfields and Truk island in '43.
I find the “game” is more forgiving than you have. Just to give you some assurance of this, especially with this v1.0.1g release, I save whenever I want, usually before I attack and the after, with enemy ships or AC around, surfaced or submerged, near land or not. But, I only create new saves, never editing an old save and re-saving. So far the only CTD I’ve had after over dozen patrols was the one reported here regarding hitting an Asashio DD which PB is looking into.
Likewise, using MultiSh if changing your MODS, clearing the Save folder as emphasized by others. For me, this release of “Ultimate “ is the best I’ve played. hope you Enjoy the game!!