View Single Post
Old 11-23-19, 05:48 AM   #132
K9us
Swabbie

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Where I (and others) might have goofed is launching newly installed SH4 before installing the FotRS UE mod.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did exactly this because I interpreted the FOTRSU documentation that way. English isn't my primary language so it's not surprising if I misunderstood parts of the instructions

Anyway, I've had way less CTDs now that I've started to take precautions in terms of where I save the game and how I reload saved games. This is the strategy that I've employed so far:

- I try to save at least 200nm from any port, city, and airfield.
- I very rarely save the game when in an active patrol area, i.e. I usually try to go the whole 5 or 10 days without saving.
- I only save when I'm surfaced.
- I try to save only when there's nothing of note around, i.e. if there's an incoming airplane on the radar or an enemy task force report withint 200nm, I try to wait it out or relocating before saving.
- When reloading the game, I always restart the game entirely first. Yeah it takes some time, but it's worth it if it means I won't lose progress due to CTDs.
- I never use the automatically saved games.

The above has worked pretty darn reliable with my 1024 TC limit that I put in the config files. A couple of days back I raised it to 2048 because the travel time between the home ports and the patrol areas early game took forever, and lo and behold I started to experience a few CTDs, both around the '42-'43 Solomon airfields and Truk island in '43.
K9us is offline   Reply With Quote