View Single Post
Old 05-10-20, 01:36 AM   #13
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Normal screen sizes vary from around 21.5in to 28in, and 24in is currently the sweet spot, if you've already got one of this size then you've just saved yourself some $$$$$.

You have to ask yourself this question, are you going to be streaming movies on this new PC regularly, if so you'll probably be better off investing in a better television and streaming to that than a new monitor, stick to a monitor of 24in for everyday computing and you'll not go far wrong.

Remember, the bigger the screen and the higher the resolution means that your graphics card has a lot more work to do. Besides that you'll have to sit further away from the PC, not much point in getting a 48in monitor if you have to watch it from 30ft away is there?.
Egg-zactly.

This always winds up sounding like heresy on a gaming forum but sometimes it pays to really consider those budget pre-built desktops you see at the hardware store or on-line. We're not talking two grand, more like $300-$500. I'm big on telling people to wait for "back to school" sales to check out a pre-built rig and really try to tear it apart based on what you really need for gaming.

I mostly play Flight Sim 2002 and Dangerous Waters when I'm not watching YouTube or reading a forum, so I'm pretty easy to please. I still check out new games but I really haven't found anything else that I'm itching to play.

I run a big enough monitor at 2K graphics with a 60 Hz refresh rate. Playing any Flight Sim at 60 Hz is pure joy.

To do all of this, I'm running a pretty cheap i3 CPU (3.8 Ghz stock clock, which is what makes the difference) with a $40 fanless vid card. The only reason I'm running a card at all is because I wanted something better than Intel graphics. My rig is something like 4 years old and it was "yesterday's tech" when I bought it. I don't know how I'll replace it when it finally wears out, maybe 4 to 6 years from now. I also have it running for something close to 12 hours per day, every day.

I think that brings up the big point I wanted to make. Start a game on your current gaming rig then bring up Win Task Monitor. Check out how much horsepower your current games really need.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote