View Single Post
Old 04-20-22, 02:16 PM   #5
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox165 View Post
Thanks Oubaas, I’ve had my eye on this for some time, you convinced to take another look. The history looks fascinating. AI challenging? I confess I’ve never been a fan of RTS games, with the exception the “Scourge of War” wargames.

I'd say that the AI is well balanced. You want to choose carefully when composing your battle group in strategic phase, before you click, "End Turn" and go to tactical phase.

The Spanish squadron had two cruisers along with a few other, smaller vessels, including a destroyer. I blockaded the port of Isabela with three cruisers. When they came out to get us, I targeted each of my vessels on the nearest and most threatening ships, then maneuvered so as to present the least target, while attempting to cut individual ships out of the squadron for closer targeting.

We wreaked havoc on them, though they inflicted some light damage on us as well. But if I had not chosen a powerful group and then used tactics to my best advantage, they probably would have defeated us.

I wouldn't want things any more difficult, but neither would I want them easier. As things are, you get a nice feeling of satisfaction when you defeat an enemy surface group in battle. You don't feel like it was too easy. It feels about right.

The battles last a while, and it's fun to watch things play out as you set speeds, navigate, and assign targets. I find the whole thing to be a lot of fun, and I'm eagerly anticipating Ironclads 3. But that will probably still be a while until release, and in the meantime I'm very happy with the, "Clad In Iron" bundle. There's lots of good stuff in that bundle, for a good price.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote